Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A short piece for free.


Several years ago I received a review copy of a YA novel set on the Navajo Indian Reservation (Now just Navajo Nation, I understand). The lead character was a teenage Navajo girl learning to weave. The author claimed to be knowledgeable of Navajo culture and weavings, but the cultural details were dubious and the weaving details totally absurd. I wrote and told the editor that. She checked with the author and dismissed my charges. The book got published to luke-warm reviews and disappeared. But in the mean time, I said, "I can write something more accurate than this guy." So I wrote a little short story set in Ganado, Arizona, where I lived for two years. You can now download that story for free via Smashwords. https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/135327
Formatting is flexible, so take your pick, and if you like it, check out some of my other work. Thanks.

No comments: